Monday, September 21, 2009

FHE

For FHE last night Loren was teaching the kids about cheating. It was in the Friend for September. He asks the kids the questions at the end. He did a great job. After he was done I add in about how I cheated sometimes (or a lot of times) in school and how one of the many consequences is that I don't know any thing. Their eyes got big as they take in that "I don't know anything." I have to restate that I do know stuff, but there is a lot that I missed because I didn't always use my own brain. I used others brain. (My poor mother if she's reading this I'm sure I'm braking her heart.) Anyway, they all decide that they want to be like Dad and study and "use their own brain." I say, "that way when you go to college your prepared for it." Emily butts in and says, "I'm not going to college, I only want to be a mom. My work will be at home taking care of my children." :)

I didn't know what to say except, "I'm glad you want to be a mom, Emily."

I didn't want her idea to feel small. She has clearly seen and knows that I didn't go to school and that this was my choice too, but I do want her to do well in school and go to college later too. I didn't want to push one or the other either though. Getting an education is important, but raising children is my top priority.

1 comment:

  1. When one of mine found out (not that it is a secret) that I'm not "degreed", the look of horror on his face was so sad. I guess I was knocked down a couple notches in his eyes. Oh well, I can still sit on him and crush him any given day, degree or not!

    ReplyDelete